DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: Friday, July 31, 2015 – 6 p.m.
The WGAW Feature Writer Access Project is currently accepting submissions from WGAW members who qualify under the program Guidelines. The goal of this peer judging program is to increase access of minority, writers age 60 and older and women feature film writers to agents, managers, studio executives and producers of feature films.
The Feature Writer Access Project is designed to increase access to WGAW members from the largest group of writers that have been historically underemployed in the feature film arena. The Project also benefits executives who are acquiring or developing feature film scripts by highlighting a strong pool of diverse candidates for their consideration.
Read samples of the 2012 and 2014 Feature WAP Honorees
The decision to target minority, writers age 60 and older and women writers was based in significant part on the data and analysis contained in the 2014 Hollywood Writers Report.
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
The Diversity Department is now accepting submissions for the 2015 Feature Writer Access Project. WGAW members interested in participating in the Project should carefully read the information below.
JUDGING PROCESS AND PROGRAM FORMAT
With the assistance of Advisory Committee members and Member Services Department staff, a group of experienced WGA feature writers will be recruited to serve as judges. Each judge will be asked to rate the scripts based on a rubric. No more than 10 writers will be selected as Feature Writer Access Project honorees. Scripts and bios of honorees will be posted on the WGAW Web site and an announcement sent to the press and to studio executives, producers, agents and managers.
All judging will be on the basis of blind submissions; no names or other identifying information will appear on the literary material submitted to the judges. Judges will be required to return or delete the literary material upon completion of judging.
- At the time of submission, a Project participant must be a Current Active (including Lifetime Current) or Post-Current Active member of the WGAW. If submission is made by a writing team, both writers must be Current Active or Post-Current Active members of the WGAW. Associate and Independent Writers Caucus members, in good standing, are also eligible. Emeritus members are eligible if they meet all other criteria and take necessary steps to transfer to Post-Current status. Contact the Membership Department if you have questions about your membership status (323) 782-4532.
- All dues must be current at the time of application. If your membership status is listed as “In Arrears”, please contact the Dues Department at (323) 782-4531 in order to arrange for payment in full (payment can be made by credit card) before submitting your application. WE CANNOT MAKE EXCEPTIONS TO THE ABOVE REQUIREMENT.
- Each Project participant must be a self-identified member of a minority group (including American Indian, African American, Asian American and/or Latino), a writer 60 and older, woman or a writing team comprised of at least one such person.
- Participants must submit only one (1) current feature-length, unproduced spec script. Scripts written for hire under a WGAW contract are not eligible for consideration, nor are spec scripts that have been sold or are currently optioned to any company.
- Judges will be advised that they can reject scripts that are improperly formatted or have an unacceptable number of typographical errors.
- All scripts must be sent in a PDF format electronically using the link below. HARD COPIES OF SCRIPTS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- The deadline for all submissions (including literary material, application, signed release form and proof of registration) is 6 p.m. Friday, July 31, 2015.
- Participants will receive an e-mail acknowledgement when their completed application has been received.
- Participants will be notified by e-mail of the results of the judging process in both the semi-final and final round.
- It is anticipated that final selections will be made by MID–LATE OCTOBER 2015.
- If you have any questions about the submission process or the criteria for submission, please contact the Diversity Department with “Feature Writer Access Project” in the subject line, or call (323) 782-4589.
DOCUMENTS TO SUBMIT
- An application and signed release form.
a. Please note that you cannot fill out these forms digitally and that you must print them, fill them out by hand, scan and save as a PDF.
b. Please circle just one of the categories (minority, writers age 60 and older, and women).
- Proof of WGA script registration or copyright registration for the submitted material.
- A PDF of your script with no name on the cover page or anywhere on the script.
***Please note that we are asking for your name not to appear on the script because it will be read and scored anonymously. Please do not send loglines or any other supporting materials. When you submit your script, please send it along with the accompanying forms via the form below: