PLEASE NOTE: THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS HAS BEEN EXTENDED.
THE NEW DEADLINE IS: TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 3 at 6PM.
The WGAW Feature Access Project is currently accepting submissions from WGAW members who qualify under the program Guidelines. In 2012 four writers were selected as the first Feature Access Project Honorees. Click here to read more about them.
The goal of this peer judging program is to increase access of minority feature film writers to agents, managers, studio executives and producers of feature films. Writers selected will also be paired with an established WGA feature writer as a career mentor.
The Feature Access Project is designed to increased access to WGAW members from the largest group of writers that have been historically underemployed in the feature film arena. The Project also benefits executives who are acquiring or developing feature film scripts by highlighting a strong pool of diverse candidates for their consideration.
The decision to target minority writers in the first year of this pilot program was based in significant part on the data and analysis contained in the 2011 Hollywood Writers Report.
Call for submissions
The Diversity Department is now accepting submissions for the 2013 Feature Access Project. WGAW members interested in participating in the Project should carefully read the information below.
Judging process and program format:
With the assistance of Advisory Committee members and Member Services Department staff, a group of experienced WGA feature writers will be recruited to serve as judges and as mentors for the selected writers. Each judge will be asked to rate the scripts based on a rubric. No more than 10 writers will be selected as Feature Access Project honorees. Scripts and bios of honorees will be posted on the WGAW Web site and an announcement sent to the press and to studio executives, producers, agents and managers.
All selected writers will be assigned a WGA feature writer as a mentor for the following year to advise them about career strategies, including submission of scripts, interviewing for assignments, pitching, and identifying executives, producers and financing sources who might be appropriate for their material. Guidelines for mentors and mentees will be established..
All judging will be on the basis of blind submissions; no names or other identifying information will appear on the literary material submitted to the judges. Judges will be required to return or delete the literary material upon completion of judging.
- At the time of submission, a Project participant must be a Current Active (including Lifetime Current) or Post-Current Active member of the WGAW. If submission is made by a writing team, both writers must be Current Active or Post-Current Active members of the WGAW. Emeritus members are eligible if they meet all other criteria and take necessary steps to transfer to Post- Current status. Contact the Membership Department if you have questions about your membership status (323) 782-4532.
- All dues must be current at the time of application. If your membership status is listed as “In Arrears”, please contact the Dues Department at (323) 782-4351 in order to arrange for payment in full (payment can be made by credit card) before submitting your application. WE CANNOT MAKE EXCEPTIONS TO THE ABOVE REQUIREMENT.
- Each Project participant must be a self-identified member of a minority group, including American Indian, African American, Asian American and/or Latino writers, or a writing team comprised of at least one such person.
- Participants must submit one current feature-length, unproduced spec script. Scripts written for hire under a WGAW contract are not eligible for consideration, nor are spec scripts that have been sold or are currently optioned to any company.
- Judges will be advised that they can reject scripts that are improperly formatted or have an unacceptable number of typographical errors.
- All scripts must be sent in a PDF format electronically (see Application form for details).
- Participants must submit an application and signed release form together with the submitted script. Forms may be downloaded here.
- Participants must submit proof of WGA script registration or copyright registration for the submitted material.
- The deadline for all submissions (including literary material, application, signed release form and proof of registration) is 6 p.m. Tuesday, September 3, 2013.
- Participants will receive an e-mail acknowledgement when their completed application has been received.
- Participants will be notified by e-mail of the results of the judging process in both the semi-final and final round.
- It is anticipated that final selections will be made by JANUARY 2014.
If you have any questions about the submission process or the criteria for submission, please contact the Diversity Department with “Feature Access Project” in the subject line, or call (323) 782-4589.
LINKS TO SAMPLES OF THE 2012 FAP HONOREES CAN BE FOUND HERE.